We’re very excited to announce another free ebook offering from Microsoft Press. Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview Release (ISBN 9780735682931), by Mitch Tulloch with the Windows Server Team, introduces new features and capabilities, with scenario-based advice on how the platform can meet the needs of your business. Get the high-level overview you need to begin preparing your deployment now. This book is based on the Preview release and will be updated to cover Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM.
Download the PDF version of this title here (108 pages, 5 MB). UPDATE: The EPUB format is here and the MOBI format is here.
Watch for the lengthier RTM edition of this ebook later this year!
If you prefer a hard copy of the book, you can order it here.
Microsoft published an important hotfix for .NET 4.5 earlier this year. It wasn’t picked up on by many, therefor a quick write up on the matter.
Since Exchange 2013 is built on top of .NET 4.5, it is recommended to install the hotfix on all Exchange 2013 Mailbox and Multi-Role servers. The hotfix will reduce the memory consumption of the store worker processes.
If you’re using Windows Server 2008 R2, the hotfix is KB2803754 and can be requested here; when using Windows Server 2012 the hotfix is KB2803755 which can be requested here.
After installing the hotfix, you need to do one of the following things:
- Set the following registry key:
- Set the COMPLUS_DisableRetStructPinning environment variable to 1
I’d prefer the first option. Note that you need to restart the server for the change to become effective.
Thanks to EighTwOne
VMware Workstation takes virtualization to the next level:
- Support for the latest Guest OS’es like Microsoft Windows 8.1 and various Linux distributions.
- The new hardware version 10 introduces even bigger and better Virtual Machines
Up to 16 vCPUs
64GB of vRAM
vSATA support has been added
Up to 20 networks can be defined.
Various USB improvements (usb3 stream support, among other things)
SSD pass through makes for better support of the underlying hardware platform.
- New Virtual Appliances created with the Workstation team to quickly run various cloud stacks like Pivotal, Puppet Labs and Vagrant.
The team has included various smaller improvements in the product as well:
- Better multi-monitor support for up to 4 screens
- Unity mode has been enhanced to seamlessly work with Windows 8.1 UI changes
- An updated version of VMware Converter has been built in and adds support for P2V’ing a Windows 8.1 machine
- New option to display the VM console using VMware-KVM, a ‘screen-only’ window without any bells or whistles.
Learn how Lync Server can help your organization provide instant messaging, web conferencing, application sharing, and voice communication.
This lists the server reverse proxy products that have completed solution testing with Lync Server. While any reverse proxy is expected to work with Lync Server, the reverse proxies listed below have completed extensive testing and are posted with detailed deployment white papers to assist in configuration.
Qualified for Lync 2013 & Lync 2010
** In November, 2012, Microsoft ceased license sales of Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010, or TMG. TMG is still a fully supported product, and is still available for sale on appliances sold by third parties.