1. You need vSphere CLI – Download Here
For Windows or Linux and install on your workstation.
2. Download the Upgrade Package for 4.0 to 4.1
3. Power off your VM’s and put the host into maintenance mode
4. From the vSphere CLI prompt
vihostupdate.pl –server hostname or IP -i –b d:\downloads\upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA
RSA Authentication manager 7.1 has a nasty bug in it that I ran into recently. When running RSA Authentication Manager 7.1 on Windows it creates 1 or 2 .sql file every minute containing SQL Statements. They build up very quickly and are not removed by RSA by default. In time this could lead into serious issues like i.e. one or more of the RSA services might not be able to (re)start anymore!
workarround until that time:
Short term solution:
· reboot the machine in safe mode
· rename the c:\windows\temp to c:\windows\temp_old
· create a fresh new c:\windows\temp
· reboot in normal mode
Long term solution:
· create a standard plain text cmd file named, for example, ‘cleanup.cmd’, and add to it the following lines: del c:/windows/temp/dbmgmt*.sql
· save the file
· launch windows scheduler and have the cmd file run once a day
You might also decide to apply 7.1 SP4. In SP4 the bug is Solved.